Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Success, failure and expectations

Have you ever met one of those people who seems to succeed and achieve wherever they go in life?
It might be that they seem to have a perfect job or maybe they have flawless relationships.
You might begin to wonder why they are so lucky or maybe attempt to find their secret key to success.
The media often seems to do this, with headlines like: 'She's 50 and has the body of a 20 year old, what is her secret?' Probably intense physical training and an incredibly healthy diet. Maybe an amazing set of genes. Possibly both. Although we know that nobody is perfect, we can assume that someone is because of the way they appear. Every now and again we are reminded that no matter how smart or pretty someone is, everyone has failures and things that hold them up in life. Sometimes we can see a glimpse of the struggles which even the most successful can suffer. This sometimes shocks us because of the high expectations that we place on people, which in reality are often completely unreasonable.

The thing is, I used to think I knew someone who had a 'flawless' life, they believed in themselves and had a lovely family and loyal friends - what more could you ask for? But after a while, she came out of her shell and instead of being the confident happy girl she seemed, I saw a different side. A girl who had insecurities and a lot of anger bottled up inside of her, a more human side. I was shocked as I'd only seen her in robot form, functioning merely in a state which appealed to others. Although I didn't really like her, I understood her more. I valued the fact that I could see where she was coming from instead of seeing this strange 'perfect' girl.

To some failure and seeing flaws cause much pain and suffering but for me they are just a part of life which we can learn from. Not a great part, I admit, but an important part because something can be drawn from almost any failure. Do you ever feel that you have to be a 'perfect' human? Do you feel more comfortable around those showing themselves more fully?

No comments:

Post a Comment